Located in downtown Minneapolis, Hennepin EMS is a division of Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC), which is Minnesota’s premier Level 1 Adult Trauma Center and Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center. Committed to creating a culturally competent and inclusive work and care environment for patients, families and staff, HCMC offers primary care and retail clinics throughout the Hennepin County metropolitan area.
We work in partnership with our community, our patients and their families to ensure access to exceptional care. Our mission is to improve the health and well-being through patient and community education, teaching and research.
Hennepin Emergency Medical Service (HEMS), a division of Hennepin County Medical Center, has openings for paramedics in the fall of 2022. This announcement serves as a talent pipeline for incoming paramedics who wish to work for the Hennepin EMS department.
A $5,000 hiring incentive is available to eligible external applicants (contract/temporary workers and former employees returning to HHS within one year are not eligible).
We offer you to pay for the experience! Bring your previous paramedic experience and get a starting base salary of up to $42.52 per hour. Starting salary is based on years of experience, with 10 years earning the best salary with the current salary scale.
Hennepin EMS is an urban/suburban 9-1-1 emergency medical services agency that handles approximately 75,000 calls for service each year from citizens and visitors to Hennepin County, Minnesota. We are based at Hennepin County Medical Center in downtown Minneapolis and serve 14 municipalities in Hennepin County, covering 266 square miles and a population of over 700,000. Hennepin EMS deploys ambulances to the communities we serve, using integrated computer-assisted dispatch that incorporates automatic vehicle location and global positioning satellites to ensure the nearest available ambulance is dispatched to all emergencies.
Our goal is to provide quality service to our customers with a courteous and immediate response while modeling the highest standard of excellence in public safety.
The paramedic position is responsible for responding to requests for emergency medical services and providing basic and advanced life support to ill and injured people at emergency scenes and during transport to a health care facility. .
The schedule will be day/evening/night, including weekends and holidays in rotation according to the needs of the department. This position is benefits eligible, including PERA and P&F Pension, and represented by the HCAPE union.
- Respond to all requests for emergency medical services as directed
- Respond to events such as multiple alarm fires, helicopter landings, hazardous incidents, FAA emergencies, and water emergencies
- Assess the nature and extent of illness or injury and determine appropriate emergency medical procedures
- Administer basic life support techniques using accepted standards of patient care
- Administer advanced life support techniques as part of written patient care protocol or in direct radio contact with a physician
- Perform victim extraction and rescue
- Acts as a team leader when dealing with emergency response, including directing first responders to facilitate patient care and transport
- Function effectively in the assigned role as part of the incident response plan
- Complete complete documentation of all emergency errands and patient contacts as directed
- Drive an emergency vehicle to transport sick and injured people to and from a health care facility
- Operate emergency medical equipment and communications equipment
- Inspect, clean and maintain assigned emergency vehicle, supplies and equipment
- Help keep ambulance facilities clean and orderly
- Prepare and maintain records and reports in accordance with department standards
- Attends all mandatory continuing education and safety training programs and can describe their responsibilities related to general safety, department/department safety and specific job hazards
- Follows hospital and ward exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens
- Demonstrates respect and consideration for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and colleagues to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment with an emphasis on customer service
- Fosters effective working relationships and works effectively within a department/unit team to facilitate the ability of the department/unit to achieve its goals and objectives
- Performs other assigned duties after appropriate training